Merino wool is a sustainable, natural and 100% biodegradable and compostable fiber. But what we didn’t know before becoming parents is that Merino wool is one of the best fabrics to wear during the summer.
Merino wool is perfect year-round!! Here are our top reasons why:
1. It absorbs and evaporates moisture more effectively than most other textiles. Merino wool is moisture-wicking - it can absorb 30% of its own weight in moisture. This prevents your little one from feeling wet and clammy.
2. Merino sheep live in extreme conditions and their fleece coats are built for both extremely cold weather AND extremely hot weather! In the winter, their coats keep them warm and insulated in temperatures of around -4°F. In summer, their coats are breathable and keep them cool in temperatures of around 95°F. Our products perform the exact same way - keeping your child comfy year-round!
3. Natural Sun Protection: Merino wool has a UV factor of between 30-50 UVP because the fibers absorb UV radiation.
4. Perhaps you've heard of Merino wool's antibacterial qualities? It’s all because of lanolin. Lanolin is a natural, oily wax emitted by sheep's skin. On the sheep, it serves as their personal durable water repellent and helps to prevent skin infection. Most of the lanolin is washed from the wool during processing. However, just enough remains to prevent mildew and bacteria from building up.
5. And, as moms ourselves, we've realized how Merino wool keeps us sane during summertime travel. Super lightweight, Merino wool is easy to pack and it's quick drying. A simple rinse at night is often all that's needed! The clothes will be dry and fresh in the morning!!